Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019 
    Jul 15, 2019  
Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019

The Campus

Mount Saint Mary College is situated on an 86-acre campus in Newburgh, New York, overlooking the Hudson River. The main campus is 60 acres and the Desmond Campus (in Balmville) is 26 acres. The College is 58 miles north of New York City and 12 miles north of the United States Military Academy at West Point.

The campus is highly accessible, located at the “crossroads” of New York State: from Exit 17 of the New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), the Taconic Parkway to Interstate 84, or NYS Route 9 on the east side of the Hudson River. The Short Line Bus System runs between New York City and Newburgh. Adirondack Trailways runs between Albany and Newburgh. Metro-North Commuter Railroad runs between New York City and Beacon (the trip is slightly over an hour), and ferry and taxi services are available between Beacon and Newburgh. The College provides free shuttle service to the train station in Beacon.

Several major airlines serve the Hudson Valley with daily scheduled flights into Stewart International Airport, located about six miles from the campus. Limousine and taxi services to the campus are available at the airport.

Campus Buildings

Aquinas Hall was built in 1963 and houses most of the faculty offices and classrooms on campus. The View, the main campus dining hall is here, as is the Campus Store (bookstore) and Jazzman’s Cafe. The Kaplan Family Mathematics, Science and Technology Center is a 52,000-square-foot addition to Aquinas Hall that was opened in 2007. 

Bishop Dunn Elementary School, an adjunct facility, is an elementary school where education students teach and observe. Individually guided programs, on both primary and middle levels, are conducted here, as well as classes for children with learning disabilities.

The College Courts are renovated townhouse-style student residences. 

The Desmond Campus, an estate donated to the College in 1991, is located two miles from the main campus in Balmville. It houses the Desmond Campus for Adult Enrichment, which offers community education programs and noncredit classes for the Hudson Valley region. The Mount also participates in the international Road Scholars program, organized by staff at the Desmond Campus.

The Dominican Center, built in 1927, was originally the motherhouse for the Dominican Sisters of Newburgh. It was also the site of Mount Saint Mary Academy, and later, Mount Saint Mary High School that remained open until 1979. The Mount purchased the Center in 2011 and this five-story, 100,000-square-foot building was transformed and re-opened in 2014. The Kaplan Family Library and Learning Center, which occupies the first two floors of the Dominican Center, offers traditional research resources and services within a comfortable, technology-rich learning environment. The lovely Chapel of the Most Holy Rosary is located in the Center.  The top three floors of the building serve as a student residence hall.

Guzman Hall, built in 1963 and recently renovated, is a multipurpose residence hall that also houses Founders Chapel and the Health and Wellness Center.  

Hudson Hall is a multi-purpose center with classrooms, an auditorium, a café, student lounges, and administrative and faculty offices.

The Elaine and William Kaplan Recreation Center is available for recreational and intramural activities and intercollegiate sports. It contains a pool and an indoor walking/running track. The Kaplan Athletic Field, with an all-season turf field and six new tennis courts, is next to the center. A baseball and softball field is just south of the Dominican Center.

The Powell Avenue properties are located across the street from the main campus and are used as administrative offices.

Sakac Hall is a freshman residence hall with fitness, computer, and laundry room and television lounges.

The Villa Madonna, an historic Gothic Revivalist mansion built in the 1840s, was a part of the original Van Duzer estate sold to the Sisters in 1913. This building used to house the entire College. It now houses the Office of the President, the Admissions office, and the offices of the Graduate Admissions and Adult Degree Completion Programs. The James Finn Cotter Library is on the ground floor. 

Whittaker Hall, formerly a carriage house, contains administrative and faculty offices.